OpenCoffee Club

Place for people who love startups to hang out and meet

Ideas are a dime a dozen as we all know. I seem to have more than most but I also have the ability to prototype them and see if there is any mileage in them. Until that is today. I have had an idea thats been nagging me for a couple of days and I think it might be a winner. The problem is I think I would need a team of people to even create the prototype. The idea involves getting a patent as well which is another area which I don't have a clue about.

The reason why this one is annoying more than the others that are on my ideas list is this one would be the answer to one of Microsoft's problems. All I will say is its in the online advertising space.

Anyone have any advise as to where to start with an idea that is beyond my means in some areas.

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rather than "dime a dozen" I prefer Guy Kawasaki's mantra: "For every every good idea, there's another 5 companies doing it. For every great idea, there's another 15 companies".

I also like GW's philosophy on patents - file for one, but unless you are a billion dollar corporation, that's as far as it should go. That's my approach - software patents are a minefield and really should be left to the big guys. They are VERY expensive and by the time you've spent all your money and time protecting the idea, the world's moved on.

Last year, I came up with a great idea. Over the months I built a team (which ultimately grew to 10 people) which was bootstrapped like heck. We developed a prototype in our bedrooms, and after 9 months I had spent a mere £4000... that includes accountants, solicitors, startup costs - everything. In the end the idea didn't really stand up, so we down-sized and are now working on a delicious project as well as doing client work (PHP, MySQL, AJAX, web apps) to help with cashflow. In the process though we formed an awesome core team which is now ready to react to our new great idea.

I guess what I am saying is, unless you are already pretty wealthy, if your idea is really good and the market research (and your gut) looks promising, then network, get some part-time developers on board and go for it. If you can't form a team (i.e. no one wants to be a part of it) then it's a good sign your idea is actually rubbish... But if you can form a great team, then great things will happen anyway.
Thanks for the feedback Jof, I researched it some more and actually did do a prototype. its pretty cool but thats about it for it. There are some other products already out there doing it. I tend to move on to the next idea if there are others in it but this one might be a cool little earner so I plan on developing it further. One thing for sure is that it won't make me millions :p
I can certainly relate to Darren, but my problem seems to be a little more broad. Because I'm located in Anchorage, Alaska, it's difficult to find programmers who actually have the skill to carry out the idea I have in mind.

Yet I'm afraid that if I pay someone online to do it, they can just steal my idea and take it else ware.

Any suggestions to help out my situation?

Thanks!
I think you have to way up the pros and cons, sitting on idea for to long will increase the likelyhood that it will be done by someone else, I have about 20 of these.

I think if you don't have the skills but have the money to get someone to develop the idea then go for it. Make sure in the contract you have with the development company covers ownership of code and ip and you won't have any problems.

What you have to remember is the idea is only a part of it, you need an aweful lot of passion for it too.

my only tip would be run idea past all your close friends and family before dropping any money on it. say something like my friend has an idea to do this, what do you think about it? should I get involved? Otherwise they might just say yeah its cool because its yours. I am lucky in this respect my wife is pretty techy and understands the basics of websites and will shoot many of my ideas down for reasons of practically etc.

Good luck.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Saul Klein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service